Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The ORDOVER Gallery

The second museum that I attended was the Ordover gallery in the San Diego's Natural History Museum. I also absolutely loved this gallery of photographs. I loved the colors and the incredible capture of nature in every image.
The first image that I looked at was in the Gallery Beyond the Object: Two Artists-Two Pathways- A Shared Vision. The artist is Robert Walter and the photograph that caught my eye was "Shoreline" (A beach rock from Cambria, CA).
This photograph did not look like a photograph at all, it looked like it was a painting. The texture of this image popped out like one could really go over and feel a rough surface. The image looked like it had glitter shimmer sprinkled all over it, but it was really just the incredible reflection of the water. The colors were so bright yet did not take over and contrasted well with light greys of the rock. The dark black shadow crevices create lines that draw the viewers attention from one side of the image to the other, while still not over taking the fabulous colors. This artist had a few photograph similar to this one and I wouldn't mind having any of them hanging over my fire place :-)

The second exhibit I viewed I think was the National Geographic Nature exhibit. I love photographs of animals, so I absolutely loved this one. It was difficult to just choose two to write about.
The first one was one that many people in the class wrote about. When they were sharing what they thought about it, I was just like oh it's just another penguin photo. I've seen it a million times, but when I actually went to the gallery and saw it with my one eyes I loved it. It is the photograph by Ralph Lee Hopkins called "Penguin Parade." I'm not sure if it was just the freshness of the ice glowing back at you or the adorable little penguins marching in a row that captured my smile. I really felt like I could actually picture the coldness to the point where it actually gave me goosebumps!

No comments: